Nursing Home Fall Lawyers in New York
Looking Out For Vulnerable Individuals
According to statistics, it is estimated that hundreds of falls are reported in nursing homes each year. In addition, around 1,800 nursing home deaths are connected to fall-related injuries. The seriousness of falls for elderly individuals cannot be taken lightly. Even a non-fatal fall accident can result in serious suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, and other medical complications. If your loved one has fallen and you believe their injuries have been caused by negligence, call our nursing home fall lawyers in New York. Flanzig & Flanzig, LLP have been devoted to protecting the rights of injured individuals for more than six decades and can help you secure the compensation you deserve.
Don’t wait. Call us now for compassionate service at (866) 352-6944, or contact us online.
Causes of Falls in Elderly Populations
So what causes these dangers falls? The most common issues include:
- Weakness of muscles and walking or gait problems
- Surrounding hazards, such as wet floors, high bed height, etc.
- Heavy medications that effect the central nervous system
- Improper foot care, damaged walking aids, lack of handrails
- Failure to have sufficient staff to answer call buttons
- Failure to have call buttons that are in proper working condition
- Failure to properly train staff in lifting and handling techniques
- Failure of the staff to properly supervise residents
- Failure to assist residents to the restroom due to understaffing
If your elderly loved one has suffered a serious fall due to nursing home abuse or negligence, be sure to call on Flanzig & Flanzig, LLP in New York today. Our caring personal injury lawyers offer free case evaluations for all potential clients throughout the five boroughs, and other areas in Suffolk County and Nassau County.
Preventing Falls in Nursing Homes
Nursing homes are responsible for taking the necessary steps to keep their facilities hazard-free and minimizing the risk of dangerous falls. If they don’t take the proper precautions to keep their facilities safe, it can lead to devastating injuries and accidents in the long run. Effective fall prevention will require specific environmental changes, medical treatment for pre-existing conditions, and rehabilitation for those dealing with walking issues.
Some of the steps that should be taken by nursing homes include:
- Assessing patients who have suffered falls to identify risk factors and treat conditions
- Keeping all staff educated on fall risk factors and basic strategies for prevention
- Determining if certain patients need more supervision or less medication dosages
- Effectively modifying different areas of the facility that may cause mobility difficulties
- Providing certain patients with hip pads to help minimize damages if a fall were to occur
- Installing devices that alert staff if a patient tries to leave their bed without assistance
All of these steps should be considered when a nursing home facility is trying to reduce the risk of dangerous and life-altering falls. However, if they fail to make any of these adjustments and a fall-related injury occurs as a result, it may require legal intervention. Our New York nursing home fall attorneys are here to guide you through the process.
Contact us today at (866) 352-6944 to discuss your case with a caring advocate. We can help you determine your legal rights and the next best step for your case.
Exceptional Service!!- Jeremy Gladstone
Not just a personal injury firm Flanzig and Flanzig is dedicated to improving cycling safety and reforming transportation laws.- Martin Buchman
The Flanzigs have what it takes...compassion, integrity, et. al.- Matthew's Mom
Helped me navigate all of the insurance company and medical forms- Former Client
He always responded promptly to emails.- Mars